Skip to content

Is targeting top bloggers the right strategy?

January 28, 2009
by

Using our recently released influence algorithm (the post by the way describes our definition of social influence ;-)), we’re able to share some empirical data on a year old question:  What’s the distribution of  influence within a niche community?

Picking the following two examples, social media marketing (900) and computer security (750) blogs, we observe a pattern that looks a lot like a long tail.

influence-security2influence-social-media1

If,  rough approximation,  we decide that the top 25 blogs form the head, 26-100 the magic middle and 100-last the long tail, the % of the total inbound links within those communities looks like:

Social Media Marketing Computer Security
top 25
24.53%
35.59%
26-100
33.53%
35.57%
101-last
41.94%
28.84%

The ‘computer security’ community has a shorter head than the ‘social media marketing’ community but,  roughly 1/3 of the inbound links are going to the ‘head’ (top 25), 1/3 to the magic middle (75 blogs from 26-100) and 1/3 to the long tail (101-last which is about 700 for computer security and 900 for social media marketing).

What’s the take out from a business standpoint?

Well,  if you’re a marketer(s) and you think you should target only about the top25 bloggers in a community  and forget about all the others (I hear that a lot, most of the time not even for niche communities, and I’m not the only one), you may:

1. miss out on a big chunk of the ‘influence dynamic’ going on within a niche community.
  2. go the difficult way: The top influencers receive lots of requests and you’re less likely to be noticed..
  3. forget about the trust factor:  Studies have shown that trust is higher with friends/people you know and B-Z bloggers may have a tighter trust relationship with their audience which is smaller.
7 Comments leave one →
  1. January 30, 2009 4:49 pm

(oops, forget about laurenthenart, it’s another ID I used for a coleague…)

So dear Ecairn, I still do agree with you !

2. April 28, 2011 2:52 am

Interesting questions, but it depends on the niche market, the reach of the top bloggers, and how much budget you have for outreach. If you can only contact 25 bloggers, which ones would they be? With unlimited budget you can do anything, but that’s not reality.

3. December 14, 2014 9:57 pm

In this context, the role of forum marketing cannot be overlooked because this is the primary essence of
    success in business across the various domains in business circles today.
    Since all profitable businesses need to develop an effective plan for promoting and delivering their goods this is another area
    you need to consider. Whatever the challenge, there is always a way
    to achieve the goal.

4. February 20, 2015 3:28 am

Hi I am so happy I found your website, I really found
    you by mistake, whikle I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I
    am here now and would just liike to say kudos for a tremendous post and a all round interesting blog (I aalso love the
    theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all att
    the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have timne I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the faqntastic b.

5. March 16, 2015 10:14 am

Fantastico weblog , de cuando en cuando internet me acostumbra a sorprender visitare tu pagina en busca de
    pero

6. March 18, 2015 7:32 am

Oh my goodness! Awesome article dude! Many thanks, However I am having problems with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I can’t subscribe to
    it. Is there anyone else having the same RSS problems?

Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!