Skip to content

Nov 08 : Top 150 Social Media Marketing Blogs

November 6, 2008

If you want to know more on how we map communities and how to market to industry influencers,  we’re organizing a  FREE webinar next week and would be very happy to have you with us, click here to register:  Webinar

We just implemented our influence ranking algorithm.

So we ran it against the ~1000 ‘social media marketing’ blogs we monitor on an ongoing basis (along with tweets, forums, Q&As…).

We will publish the list every other month (please follow our Twitter account : ecairn for early notice). Here is the last September 2010 version.

Below is the top 150 list, you can also find it at along with other top 150 lists covering other areas of marketing.
( When compared to the Adage Power 150 reference, remember we zoomed particularly on social media marketing. Plus the list contains only blogs written in English).

Here is an OPML Link, from Matt Shaulis, to the list if you want to import in your reader.

1 C Brogan
48 R Bhargava
49 T Andrlik
50 A Servonitz
76 F Gossieaux
78 D Fleet
provided by
(*) customerevangelist is the same blog- influence should be higher
100 Comments leave one →
  1. November 7, 2008 12:28 am

Hey! Would love to hear more about your algorithm…I’m a big fan of measurement. Any chance of learning more about your approach?

2. November 7, 2008 12:42 am

Very interesting list. Judging from the names at the top it appears to be pretty valid. I am looking forward to familiarzing myself with some of the other social blogs towards the middle-bottom of the list, and hopefully my blog will show up on this radar in the not-so-distant feature.

Thanks for sharing this very comprehensive list!

Best Wishes!

3. November 7, 2008 1:25 am

Interesting list. Some weren’t surprises, but some blogs I thought would be there aren’t. B&T rated Paull Young, Laurel Papworth and myself as influential here in Australia, but only Paull seems to be on this list.

…and click to page 36

I’m interested, like Peter, to know your algorithm.

4. ecairn permalink
    November 7, 2008 1:45 am

@ Peter, our approach is quite simple.
    1- we focus on building comprehensive lists using a relevance formula that mix topic and topology relevance.

As soon as you get 50ish blogs that represent your target, the system learns and propose relevant blogs. To give you an idea, we have build a list of 4000+ blogs on Food, 400+ on Wine, 600+ on Computing Security in a few days. My favorite is a list of 200+ blogs on Premier League soccer ;-)

2- we count interconnections within the list (blogroll and direct connections) and derive an influence score.

The algorithm is still in beta and we’re improving it as we speak. We’re also doing research on community relevance (not topic relevance – patent pending) that we will introduce step by step in the coming months.

@ Ryan, thanks for the feedback and good luck!

5. ecairn permalink
    November 7, 2008 1:57 am

@ Lee, I checked our list – which again represent OUR view, and may be biaised.
    Your blog is 174, Laurel’s one is 309. May be we should publish the top 1000 ?
    (our own score will be so low that it wouldn’t be good press for us)

6. Lolly permalink
    November 7, 2008 11:00 am

Hi there,

Thanks for organising the list – I am thrilled to be part of that list! Would be really nice to know what kind of algorithm you use… we’re currently having a big debate in the office on how to measure influence…

7. November 7, 2008 1:20 pm

What a fascinating list and cross-section of marketing blogs! I like the social marketing angle and look forward to seeing the algorithm and concept evolve. Thank you for including Flooring The Consumer.

• February 1, 2012 12:48 pm

Scrivi il tuo cmtneomo Puoi usare questi tags HTML : <a> <abbr> <acronym> <b> <blockquote> <cite> <code> <del> <em> <i> <q> <strike> <strong>

8. November 7, 2008 2:59 pm

I’m honored to be included on this list at #63, and really pleased that I’ve had the opportunity to meet quite a few of these bloggers in person. Like everyone else, I’d like to know more about the algorithm. Thanks for the work you are doing on this and your willingness to interact in the comments.

9. November 7, 2008 5:21 pm

Now I’ll fill up my reader.

It’s good to know who is considered a leader, not necessarily to emulate, but becuase my niche can start feeling narrow and I forget there are bloggers who don’t have a potty mouth.

10. November 7, 2008 5:23 pm

Bizarre question, but can you dump the RSS for these also so we could make a nice folder in our readers? That was be a great tool

11. November 7, 2008 5:24 pm

Copyblogger is all about social media marketing (we just happen to advocate actually selling stuff) and is #4 on AdAge…

But doesn’t make this list at all? Wow.

12. November 7, 2008 5:25 pm

Goodness! Looks like there’s more blogs to read today. :)

13. November 7, 2008 5:30 pm

i’m surprised didn’t make the list. i know they’re not “how to use social media for marketing purposes” but their influence on social media is undeniable. right? am i missing something?

14. November 7, 2008 5:32 pm

Thank you for including toprankblog in the list! Also, for putting the list together – it’s a great resource. We’ll put together a Custom Google search engine using these sites.

BTW, you have us listed as “TopRanked”. Could you change that to our name or my name? TopRank Online Marketing or Lee Odden.

Thanks again!

15. November 7, 2008 5:40 pm

I’m thrilled, shocked, and floored to be on the list at #44 — feels good that someone who writes about social change and nonprofits is on this list. A shout out others who write about this — Connie Reece and Canuckflack.

16. ecairn permalink
    November 7, 2008 5:43 pm

@Brian, we know copyblogger, we’ve a similar list on blogging and you’re close to the top. we tried to focus on “social media marketing” for this list; on the other end, we have problogger in the list. We’ll correct that.

@tyler, same comment, our perception is that mashable is “general 2.0” more than “social media marketing”, we left venturebeat more to get a reference versus the adage list. we’ll try to be better next time.

@Lee we will fix it. Thanks

@ all, thanks for your comments. again this is beta and we are striving to improve the list. your comments help us a lot.

17. November 7, 2008 6:04 pm

Thank you very much for pulling this together, and I am thrilled that Customers Rock! appears on it at 141. :) Could you please update the blog’s address to be, as I moved from the domain a few months ago.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing more about this.

You rock!

18. November 7, 2008 6:21 pm

I didn’t read everything above me. Just glanced, but I have to tell you that I want to know more about the way it computes. I’m thrilled to be #1, and thanks.

But tell me what makes you decide this? How?

19. November 7, 2008 6:24 pm

Wow, honored to be on the list (#149 with a bullet!) On a personal note, it is gratifying to see the blog listed. My Twitter stream gets more attention, deservedly so, but it’s all part of the package.

What I like best about these lists is not rankings or pecking order, but finding new blogs to read and people to get ideas from

20. November 7, 2008 6:53 pm

very neat. how about the top 200 or 300?

21. November 7, 2008 7:23 pm

Interesting. The interconnectedness of the blogs is an interesting take. Are you looking at any other part of the social footprint? Is it completely link based?

I love Lifehacker, but is it Social Media Marketing?

22. November 7, 2008 7:27 pm

ecairn – that makes sense, now. it’s a great list, though – thanks for pulling it together!

23. November 7, 2008 10:18 pm

Thank you for your tool. Looks like people play several “games” with it:

– “Find yourself on the list” – which some people can’t, not being in the top 150. Maybe when you write the front end to it (which I assume you will at some point?) you can allow people to type in their blog and get a ranking, no matter how low, together with the list, and if their blog’s not on the list yet, send your bot to it

– “Compare to other lists and discuss algorithms” – I don’t know how the front end to this may look like, unless you want to make your algorithm transparent partially and have people add suggestions to it. Many people are curious about your algorithm, it seems. I know I am!

– “Make a list for my pet blogging topic, please” – are you going to invite people to make those “initial fifty” lists somehow for their suggested topics, to initiate other lists?

– “Custom Google search using a top X list for Y topic” – sounds promising, if a bit dangerous for producing bottlenecks.

24. November 7, 2008 11:36 pm

Happy to be on any list. (Except for government watch lists.) Thanks for the include.

25. November 9, 2008 3:16 pm

This is an excellent list, but I would suggest that it is a “social media marketing” list, not a “social marketing” list. “Social marketing is the application of marketing technologies developed in the commercial sector to the solution of social problems where the bottom line is behavior change.” [Alan Andreasen, Marketing Social Change]. It is important that we remember the difference and respect the existing field while moving forward with new tools available through social media.

26. Allen permalink
    November 10, 2008 2:30 am

Sue – I would argue this is just a haphazard list of blogs – when did lifehacker or searchengineland become social marketing blogs (or social media marketing). Scoble isn’t a social marketer, he’s a tech blogger – there’s a difference. I could easily argue at least 50% of the list don’t belong there.

27. November 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Not bad, a good tool that helps us to gain traffics

28. November 10, 2008 3:21 pm

OK, nice list, but I think we really do need more insight into your measurement system here. It’s pretty easy to compile a list of 4000+ blogs on Food, 400+ on Wine, 600+ on Computing Security, etc. It seems you’ve got some sort of automation going down etc, which is cool, but if it isn’t proprietary then how about telling us how you’re doing this? Would be very interesting.

29. November 10, 2008 4:16 pm

here is another Social Bookmarking Website for yours.

30. November 10, 2008 4:22 pm

nice, although your algorithm definitely is missing some big ones

31. ecairn permalink
    November 10, 2008 4:51 pm

We’d be happy to know which ones are missing.

32. November 10, 2008 7:35 pm

We wouldn’t mind throwing the Buzz Bin ( into the mix.

33. ecairn permalink
    November 10, 2008 8:04 pm

@Geoff, you touch on our first corner case ;-). You’re actually 29nd on the list and I will correct it.
    Normally we’re tracking at the “highest level” and here we were tracking your /blog url . I need to investigate.

Sorry for that.

34. November 11, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for compiling the list. I see you have included blogs outside of the US and wondered how which covers social media would rank in your algorithm?

35. ecairn permalink
    November 11, 2008 2:18 pm

@Krishna – Sent you an email

36. ecairn permalink
    November 11, 2008 7:41 pm

We just published an answer to your questions in a new post:

Thanking you all for your great comments

37. November 12, 2008 1:01 am

Honored to have made the list…just barely.

It is a fascinating world of social connections. I’m glad to be a fellow learner with you and your team at eCairn’s.

Let me know how I might help or encourage you.

Keep creating…a brand worth raving about,

38. November 18, 2008 11:57 am

Thank you so much for putting the list together. I am honored to have my blog at #76. If you want to add my name to it that would be great as I am the sole writer on the blog.
    Thank you! Francois

39. November 22, 2008 2:55 am

Awesome list. Will save me (and everyone ) a lot of time.

You missed out (reputation management)

40. November 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Interesting list, and good to know I’m reading some of the right people. :)

Though I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new name on there in next couple of lists – Danny Brown is fast making a name for himself where it counts.

Look forward to seeing updates, make sure I’m following who I should be :)

41. December 5, 2008 5:24 pm

The OPML file contains errors.

25. Jaffe Juice feed is at
    60. CK’s Blog feed is at

131. Transmission Marketing feed is invalid (should set character set to UTF-8 and validate the feed!)
    134. Chris Heuer’s feed is missing (404, too bad for him)

I wonder how invalid feeds can make it to this list. Maybe clients just don’t bother validating the feeds. Oh, so far so good: if they don’t make it straight, we can provide shitty blogging software, after all, only the content matters (as opposed to data).

Nice work though. Thank you eCairn.

42. ecairn permalink
    December 5, 2008 5:44 pm

@Hellekin, Thanks for your comment.

We (eCairn) just built the list :-). I’ll send a note to Matt for the OPML fixes.
    By the way, you may consider reading all these blogs… and many more using our social media marketing application.

43. December 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Wow great list! Now just to get my blog to make the top 150!

44. January 2, 2009 10:04 am

Immersive catalog

45. March 1, 2009 7:01 am

That’s really amazing and great list for the people who have interest in Social Media and Social Media Marketing.

46. March 2, 2009 12:44 pm

awesome list and is quite useful for me. It would have been great if you keep updating them.

47. March 19, 2009 3:22 am

The synergistic power of social media/social marketing can quickly propel a blog to great popularity. The challenge is to use effective traffic-building strategies while building a quality blog — worthy of reading.

Congratulations to the top 150 bloggers who’ve managed to do this.

Best Regards,
    Andy Lax

48. March 20, 2009 7:19 am

I enjoyed reading your post; I am running a small website on video conferencing I am a beginner in this business. I don’t know much about it but I am searching around for material that can increase my knowledge

49. April 13, 2009 4:29 pm

Thank you for giving the list, it was really a big help!

I’ll come back often.

Dux Marketing

50. May 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for such a great list. Seth Godin is probably my all time favorite. Everyone need to read his stuff!!!

51. December 25, 2009 3:48 pm

thanks….for giving useful info….it really helped me……

52. January 17, 2010 12:16 am

I didn’t see these on your list:

Great resources.

53. January 22, 2010 2:49 pm

thats a good blog with interrested informations thank you. greetz chris

• June 3, 2010 12:11 pm

Das IT-Haus Wirtz ist wieder da!! Toll, der Betrug geht weiter! Super, Christian!

54. May 16, 2010 10:36 am

Very useful blog; thank you for this thread.

55. May 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I’m glad to found this list of great sites.
    My congratulations to the top 150 bloggers!

56. June 3, 2010 12:13 pm

Very cool list – this makes really sense and is usefull for Online-Marketing purposes as well! Thank you!

57. July 15, 2010 8:35 pm

My updated site is now at

58. July 26, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks for dropping by the site. Also a big thanks for digging through the power 150 list to pull this list together, I’m happy to be included in such good company. It’s really amazing list.

59. August 28, 2010 4:53 pm

This is a great article and a great website. I liked it very much. It will help me to optimise my websites in europe. I have website in travel and that meens a lot of seo work !!

Thanks a lot and greetings,

Dave and Carol
    Seo and Travel Website in Europe, France

60. November 2, 2010 12:30 pm

Yippie, a lot of stuff to go through.. my next holidays are postponed, as there is a whole universe of interesting stuff, which I still need to read! ….. and yet: Social Media is a very complex issue to talk about, and I think that ecairn might be a very,VERY useful tool.

61. January 7, 2011 9:29 am

Kewl! A lot of lists to read… I guess this will already keep me busy for the whole year.

62. February 2, 2011 1:52 pm

nice list, thanks.

63. April 9, 2011 2:50 pm

Some are really strange, but that has to be, I guess. Thanks anyway!

64. May 26, 2011 5:24 am

Thanks for the great list.
    Could you recommend any of them off the top of your head?
    I will probably work through them all over the next few weeks anyway, but would be good to start with the best :)

Appreciate you putting this together for us.
    All the best
    Bill Jenkins

65. November 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Whoa! Such a huge list! Are this sort according to their ranking? I know I will learn more from your list. Thanks for sharing!

66. February 10, 2012 10:29 am

Hi eCairn,
    Very useful post and thanks for sharing best 150 social media marketing blogs with everyone. It will help viewers to know top 150 social media marketing blogs and many other informative tips to generate traffic on their blogs also.

67. May 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Superb, what a blog it is! This website provides useful data to us, keep it up.

68. January 29, 2015 7:35 pm

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am in fact happy to read
    everthing at one place.

1. Top 25 Social Marketing Blogs in 1 convenient feed | Dave Made That - New Media Musings by Dave Delaney
  2. Top Posts «
  3. Top 150 Social Media Marketing Weblogs | marketing social media
  4. Finding good bloggers has never been easier —
  5. Lalai LOADED » Blog Archive »
  6. Daily Digest for 2008-11-10 | Midlife Manifesto
  7. Tuesday’s Top 5 for 11.11.08 « Wheel on the Web
  8. Answering your questions on ‘Top 150 Social Marketing Blogs’ « eCairn’s Blog
  9. Murphy’s Law » Interesting PR-related stuff
  10. Daily Digest for 2008-11-11 | Midlife Manifesto
  11. Social Media’s Greatest Hits as an OPML File – spithout.Net
  12. Lo mejor del Social Media en un archivo OPML | Juegos para niños
  13. Speedlinking da Semana [30 de Novembro a 7 de Dezembro] - 2.0 WEBMANIA - Portugal, a Web 2.0, o Mundo e a Internet
  14. Influence algorithm now available in eCairn’s social media marketing platform « eCairn’s Blog
  15. News Update - Best of the Day : The Strategy Web
  16. ITEC656 @ AU: Assignment #3: Hire the Better Writer
  17. List of Online Marketing Lists: 316 Tips & Ideas « Online Marketing Mavens Blog
  18. List of Online Marketing Lists: 316 Tips & Ideas | Marketing Blogs - All Latest Posts
  19. creative ADD? « Unexpecting
  20. Becoming An Influential Blogger! | The Marketing PAD
  21. Improving Your Internet Business Experience With Facebook : Niche Success Pro
  22. Social Marketer Membership | Clients
  23. Strong Social Marketing Strategies with Facebook and Twitter | OPT IN MONEY TREE
  24. Site Social » Social Media and the Bottom Line
  25. How to Manage your Social Media Marketing with Simple Tools | Dot Com Secrets Local Gulf Coast
  26. social media marketing strategies | business internet sales & marketing consulting strategies
  27. Web Marketing Agency for insurance lead generation in a soft market | QuickLoaninfo.INFO
  28. can you make money with Pinterest? | Per-Erik Olsen - The Home Business Selection
  29. Top 3000 Social Media Influencers: Graph and Observations | Influencers & Community Marketing